Everyone strives to be different and thus loves individualisation. But do you want to buy a surprise egg custom boards often turn out to be? Or trust in a proven shape by a brand which has continuously been at the forefront of the board development with over 40 years of experience.
Look no further cause here comes the GRIP D/LAB board range.
At DUOTONE only real game-changer products qualify to carry the D/LAB logo. So what’s so special about these boards to allow them to become the first D/LAB products under DUOTONE Windsurfing?
During the last 3 years our product manager boards Dani Aeberli and our QC specialist Vasin Siritho have worked on a new technology which is exclusive for DUOTONE. We call this CUSTOM CNC SANDWICH.
We use a construction which is one hundred percent identical to the most high-end custom made boards. Instead of using a mould to bring the EPS foam core into its final shape each EPS block gets CNC milled. This ensures maximum precision and saves weight.
Same as with high-end custom board makers the major advantage lays in the processing. We call this SINGLE PROCESS TECHNOLOGY and it is the key to our industry-leading weight-strength ratio.
Instead of combining working steps to safe time and money every single step follows its individual process. So for example instead of joining the PVC sandwich with the EPS core in a single shot we vacuum-bag the top and bottom PVC shields with the EPS core separately.
Also instead of using standard 3mm PVC elements for the entire board we use thicker and thinner PVC plates as well according to the stress areas which makes the board lighter yet stronger.
For all D/LAB boards we use our most sophisticated layup which consists of more than 60 individual parts and components (nearly 20% more parts than used for our SLS Premium Sandwich Construction).
On top we are using the most high-end composite materials available to-date.
- All carbon fibres used are a mix of high strength and high modulus carbon qualities depending on the individual requirements of each board section. Our high modulus carbon used can also be found on high-end products like aircraft’s, Formula One cars or our Platinum SLS masts, booms and extensions.
- Innegra is a high modulus Propylene with unbeatable tensile and ding resistance
- We use our exclusive high performance Kevlar with an extra high silica content which offers much higher tensile strength as well as about 10-20% greater stiffness.
- And finally we are using our exclusive DUOTONE SENTEX resin impregnated with silicon nano-spheres which helps us to reduce the weight even further without sacrificing durability.
Instead of using a similar layup on all boards we use a DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC FLEX CONSTRUCTION for all our D/LAB boards since demands on the different disciplines (wave, freestyle, freeride, racing) and conditions vary quite a lot.
- Racing boards are e made to offer maximum performance (instant acceleration and V-max). Therefore these boards need be as stiff as possible. To achieve this no compromise stiffness we use a super high carbon content on all FALCON D/LAB layups.
- On wave boards though a certain „give“ is essential since these boards are very short and might become too stiff thus uncontrollable using a full carbon layup. Therefore the GRIP D/LAB boards come with a higher Kevlar + Innegra content. These high-tech composites have a much higher tensile strength avoiding breakages after high landings. To still achieve an outstanding»spring-back» characteristics which makes the board more reactive and has a tremendous effect on the acceleration we use unidirectional Carbon reinforcements in longitudinal direction.
Last but not least even every single board size has an individual layup. That’s the final stage of individualisation in construction.
The result speaks for itself since the D/LAB boards are approx. 500 grams lighter than our SLS boards and up to a full kilo lighter than other serial production boards. And it’s the first time that a production board can compete even with the lightest custom boards out there.
Yet all of this is achieved without any sacrifice in durability since we always follow our core motto LIGHT DONE RIGHT.
Please note that at least in the first year quantiles will be strictly limited – just like a real custom board. That’s why only the most popular GRIP 4 and GRIP 3 sizes will be available in D/LAB technology.
Our GRIP D/LAB boards are constantly evolving designs and constructions to ensure we are continuously at the forefront of development yet with over 40 years of experience. We call them World Cup Wave boards as they are engineered to satisfy the best of the best on all kind of spots around the globe, from jumping-oriented side-on conditions like Pozo to down-the-line groundswell conditions like Hookipa.
Now the most important question you need to ask yourself is which fin configuration best suits your personal riding style:
- The GRIP 4 with its Quad fin configuration gives you maximum drive and grip for committed rail to rail turns, even in XXL waves
- The GRIP 3 has a slightly better acceleration due an efficient rocker with a lower-drag entry, which is especially helpful in jumping conditions. The Thruster fin configuration allows for earlier tail release for tighter/slashier turns, even in non ideal waves
YOUR NEW GRIP D/LAB DREAM MACHINES ARE READY AND WAITING FOR YOU TO GO BEYOND IMAGINATION!